Guide to the circulation, account, and library use policies of the MCNY Library.
Last Updated: Jul 16, 2014
- Authorized Borrowers
- Only current MCNY students, faculty, and staff may check out books from the circulating collection, or use reserve books.
- MCNY Alumni, LSI students, and CNR students may use books on the library premises.
- Registration and Library Card
- MCNY Library registration is separate from college registration, and must be done in person during opening hours.
- Registration requires: a) a valid MCNY ID, possessing the current year's sticker (acquired at Student Services) and b) filling out a set of basic contact information (address, phone number, valid email).
- Your MCNY ID card, after registration, is your library card, and should be presented whenever a book is to be used or checked out.
- If you lose your ID, you must obtain another one in order to check out Circulating Books.
- For students who have previously registered/lost, Reserve books may be used if the student provides a) a valid Photo ID AND b) a class schedule for the current semester. This is for in-library use only.
- Suspension of Borrowing Privileges
- If a user accrues over $5.00 in library fines, their borrowing privileges will be suspended until payment of fines.
- Graduation Requirements
- Students must pay all outstanding library fines in order to receive their degree.
- Circulating Collection (MCNY General Collection, New Books, Display Items & Teacher's Resource Room): Out of Library Use, 30 Day Circulation Period.
- Books may be renewed one (1) time, for another 30-day period.
- Books can be returned at the Circulation Desk during standard library hours, or in the book drop outside while it is closed.
- All books are due back by the end date of each semester.
- Books borrowed within the last 4 weeks of a semester will therefore have shortened borrowing periods.
- Reserve Collection: In-Library Use Only, 2-hour Circulation Period.
- Print Magazines & Newspapers: In-Library Use Only.
- Reference Collection: In-Library Use Only.
- Circulating Collection: 15 cents per book, for each day overdue.
- Reserve Collection: 60 cents per book, for each hour over due. (Any time past 2 hour limit = 1 hour.)
- Fines are capped at $30.00 per book, for both circulating and reserve books.
- Lost Books
- If an MCNY Library book is lost, a replacement cost equal to the Amazon market price of the book will be assessed.
- This fine is addition to any existing overdue fines that have accrued.
- Users may a) pay the total amount of the fine or b) purchase a new copy of the book and provide it for the library.
- Further questions may be addressed to the Directors of The MCNY Library.